Monday 25 June 2012

New Beginnings

Hello.  Welcome to my blog which will follow my journey as I 'cut da string' to my life in England and look to relocate and settle in Shetland.  There will, of course, still be ties to my life in England with friends and family living here, but moving to a new life in an area of outstanding natural beauty is something I have longed to do for many years.  A number of possibilities have been considered over time but, like moths to the flame, it is Shetland that draws my wife and I.
I say my wife and I but, in truth, there will be three of us as my mother-in-law will also join us.  I have two grown up children; a daughter at University and a son at college.  My daughter's pursuit of a career in drama will, I'm sure, take her to cities I have no wish to settle in.  My son, who is studying film-making and who loves natural history, has expressed interest in Shetland, given the fantastic widlife and scenery, so I hope that, in time, he will want to join us there.
There is, however, a long road to travel before we can consider ourselves as Shetlanders.  Books can only tell one so much.  Various websites about island life and making the move help, as do videos posted to You Tube, but it is establishing contact and relationships with people who have already made the move that, I feel, will be particularly helpful.  To this end, I hope that this blog proves a useful vehicle.
The first real step has been taken today.  An email, with CV, has been sent for a position on the Shetland mainland.  It is for considerably less than I earn currently but, I hope, will allow me to make a contribution to island life drawing on my skills and experiences.  My wife, Louise, has updated her CV and will be sending off speculative emails to prospective employers this week.  She will also be looking at current vacancies with a view to seeing what she can apply for.
So what else can we offer besides work-related skills and experiences?  What else can we tell you about ourselves?
Well names seem a good place to start.  I'm Peter and I'm married to a wonderful woman called Louise who's mother is called Jacqui.  I am also a photographer and artist with a keen interest in natural history, which helps to explain why the lure of Shetland is so strong.  As you may have gathered by now, I also enjoy writing.  Louise has many interests including dress-making, photography, crafts, cooking and writing (she also has a blog - princessprudencediaries).  Jacqui's main interests include film and her dog Bailey.
This leads me to the other members of our motley crew looking to settle in Shetland.  Louise and I have two beautiful dogs: Prudence and Alfie.  Prudence is ten now and a lovely lively Airedale Terrier.  Young Alfie is four and is a Parson Russell Terrier.  Jacqui's dog Bailey is a cross between a Pug and Shih Tzu and, at six years of age, is older than Alfie,  Because the two 'dogs' Bailey and Alfie have not lived together before, precautions need to be taken and Bailey will shortly be taking a trip to the vets as 'Arthur' and leaving as 'Martha'!
Finally, for now, I am sure that obstacles await us and that our resolve will be tested.  The scale of what we are undertaking seems overwhelming, but we are all committed to a better, healthier and more rewarding way of life and, with God's help, we will get there.
If you are resident in Shetland or are also making/have made the move, I should be delighted to hear from you.
Peter

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with your plans. It's the best move we've made.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kevin. Thanks for the good wishes. Very early days yet. Decision is made and clearance of stuff underway. Job application and CVs sent. House to sell. Suspect we will rent at first. Keen to learn from other people's experiences so any advice will be greatly appreciated! Kind regards. Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete